Preparing for graduation is an exciting and intimating time. There is a lot to consider and accomplish over your high school years. Please use this guide to help you insure that you make your current year of high school the best that you can! If you have any questions, please contact the Counseling Office.
- Narrow your college list. Consider visits, overnight stays, and interviews at your top school choices. Visit any schools on your list that you have not already seen. Make sure you understand application requirements and admission deadlines.
- If you are applying to a four-year college, register for one last shot at the SAT or ACT if you aren't happy with your earlier scores. Ask a counselor for a fee waiver if you qualify. Don’t forget to send scores to all schools you are still considering. Be sure to take the SAT subject tests if they are required by the schools you are considering.
- Begin asking teachers, school counselors, and employers for letters of recommendation to include with your college and scholarship applications.
- Be sure your senior year mix of classes still includes challenging college preparatory courses.
- Meet with admissions representatives who are visiting your school.
- Attend the MUHS College and Career Fair to collect information and speak with representatives from your preferred colleges. Talk to career representatives to explore any options you had not yet considered.
- Finalize drafts of your college essays, but only after numerous edits, rewrites and reviews by people you trust such as family members and teachers.
- Submit your applications to colleges and post-secondary schools. Use Parchment to request a transcript from Mingus Union High School to the schools to which you are applying.
- Complete the free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To apply for most financial aid, you will need to complete the FAFSA beginning on October 1.
- If you're considering a career in the military, take the ASVAB test. Sign up in the Counseling Office!
- Attend college fairs and financial aid nights.
- Stay focused on your grades all year long. Remember that your college of choice can still rescind your acceptance if your senior year grades are not acceptable!
- Continue to apply for outside funding or scholarships. Check the Mingus Union High School online scholarship listing frequently for new scholarships and updates!
- If you applied to colleges, their decision letters should begin arriving. Celebrate your acceptances, decide about your wait lists, and deal positively with your rejections.
- Finalize financial aid applications and continue applying for grants/scholarships.
- Continue to work hard in your classes. Now is not the time to let your grades slide! Remember that the colleges that have accepted you can still rescind your acceptance if your senior year grades are not acceptable!
- Work with your counselor
- Review your financial aid awards and choose the aid package that’s best for you and your family. Be sure to note what you have to do to continue receiving scholarships and financial aid from year to year.
- Take AP exams if appropriate. A successful score can earn you credit and may be critical to reducing your load in college.
- Make final commitments for your plans after graduation. If you are planning to attend college or post-secondary school, submit all necessary paperwork and make deposits.
- Congratulations on your graduation! Celebrate your accomplishments safely!