Our job is to keep our school community informed and maybe to brag a little about our incredible Marauder family. Tune in here for important announcements and to see what our students and staff are up to.
The Mingus Union Governing Board met last Friday, November 20, and approved a one-week suspension of in-person learning during the week of November 30 to December 4, 2020.
The following are some of the reasons for this decision which were in the discussion:
- Current and forecast COVID-19 data indicates that two, if not all three, health benchmarks will be in the red or substantial spread category by the end of the week of December 4.
- Staffing has become very difficult with the county-wide teacher and substitutes teacher shortages.
- Over one-hundred of our staff and students have been quarantined due to on-campus exposure to COVID-19, with more than one-dozen cases. (Most of the cases have originated off-campus).
- Extending the Thanksgiving break means we will not have students on-campus with staff on Monday through Friday following the holiday. This creates a buffer and allows for the incubation of the COVID-19 virus to take place while students who may have been exposed without their knowledge are away from campus. Staff will be on campus to facilitate distance learning with maximum physical distancing possible and with a continuation of our mitigation strategies in place.
- Family and staff surveys expressed broad concern with a continuation of in-person learning, though the results were somewhat mixed.